Saturday, August 24, 2013

DAY 83: KING OF FISHERMEN



When I was a kid, my parents took our family to Doonside KZN, on a caravan holiday. While we were there, I can remember my brother taking me to fish from a bridge over a nearby lagoon.  I was the first one to catch a fish with my rod and line, but was highly disgusted when my brother pounced on the fish and cut it up for bait! That marked the end of my fishing career.

The Kingfisher, on the other hand, can't afford to give up like I did, as fishing is how he stays alive, and he's not called KINGfisher for nothing.  The family shown in the picture could catch and eat up to 100 small fishes per day.  

The Kingfisher is admired for its beautiful vibrant coloring and has a large beak, but the sad fact about these amazing birds is that their lifespan is a mere 2 years.






















No comments:

Post a Comment